Sunday, March 16, 2008

Base Humour

I realise I have a base sense of humour sometimes... but I was enjoying this article by Kevin Kelly then I came to this paragraph which made me giggle like a 14 year old boy. The question is, was it intentional or a slip? Or am I just being juvenile?

The faster and greater our lives become mediated -- the more time we spend communicating through technology -- the more urgent this question of "what is real" becomes. How do we tell the difference, if any, between realities and simulations? How do these redefine humans?

I get much satisfaction from the free-thinking, nearly insane investigations by the legendary science fiction author Philip K. Dick. I am a big fan of Dick. His large body of work is now in ascendence because the two themes he nurtured are the two themes our culture will nurture in the next 100 years: What is a human and what is the nature of not-human, or reality.

2 comments:

Stuart said...

says the guy who doesn't like dodgeball...

Trevor Black said...

I haven't even watched Dodgeball... but I didn't like Zoolander, so what can you do